Three Teas to Try

Three Teas to Try




Teas
Walking down the tea aisle of my local supermarket puts my head in a tizzy. I love tea and I've been drinking it for years, but I still am overwhelmed and amazed by the sheer amount of choices I face when selecting a kind of tea. If I was the sort who never tried anything new, this situation of course wouldn't cause me any problems. I am, however, easily tempted by that which is novel.

Perusing the teas offered makes my mouth water. Some of the varieties conjure up images of decadent desserts, with names like Caramel Apple or Chocolate Raspberry. And of course I'm intrigued by teas claiming to be infused with the flavors of pomegranates, passion fruit, or Goji berries. Sometimes, though, I am in the mood for simpler, more unadorned beverages, so I seek out back-to-basics teas that I haven't tried. I've happened upon three that I recommend every tea lover sample at least once.

Rooibos (red tea): This does not fit the strict definition of tea because the leaves do not come from the tea plant (known botanically as Camellia Sinensis). Instead, rooibos comes from Aspalathus linearis, a plant that grows exclusively in South Africa. Rooibos is Afrikaans for "red bush". Though it is not a true tea, it is a popular herbal infusion with many of its own reported healthful properties. First, it is chemically different from true tea in that it contains no caffeine. As such, it will not cause insomnia if you're like me and enjoy sipping a warm calming beverage before bedtime on cold winter nights. It also contains antioxidants like true tea, in addition to minerals like calcium, and a mild sweet flavor devoid of the bitterness one sometimes finds with true tea.

White tea: Made from the very young leaves of the tea plant while the buds are still covered in white hairs, this tea undergoes minimal processing and hence retains more of its natural antioxidants than does green or black tea. Given that the leaves used in white tea are harvested at an earlier time in their development cycle, there is less caffeine in this tea than others. It also will not stain your teeth and is reported to actually be beneficial to oral health. Last, its flavor is delicate, vaguely sweet, and far less bitter than green or black tea.

Oolong tea:
Oolong tea is tea that is basically somewhere between green and black. The green tea leaves undergo partial fermentation but before they become black tea leaves the process is halted. Like both green and black teas, oolong tea has antioxidants that can be beneficial to health. Oolong tea can vary in its taste depending on the brand you get. Some brands make oolong tea that is very robust and woodsy in taste, and other brands of oolong are lighter and sweeter.

Though I may never find it easy to choose a tea, I know that if I'm truly at a loss I can always opt for one of these three teas for a refreshing and healthy treat. I encourage you to try them, ponder their flavors, and enjoy the calm and sense of well-being they can bring to your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular